Sunday, February 19, 2017

Overnight Oats...

I decided to make my own version after watching YouTube videos on them being made in mason jars (as well as other meals). I made one version of old fashioned quaker oats, milk (I used lactaid although you can use regular or even soy milk), a little bit of honey, chia/flax seed blend (which is healthy for you and acts as a thickener), vanilla extract, and strawberries. The next version I had the oats, honey, lactaid, chia/flax seed blend, cinnamon, and raisins. The next morning I ate it cold, it was mushy, including the raisins which need to be added right before eating to prevent them being mushy, and it did have more of an oat flavor. My overall impressions was that I thought the strawberry version would be my favorite but it wasn't at all, the vanilla flavor didn't come through. I did a taste test of heating up a cinnamon oatmeal version with no raisins today, and it wasn't mushy but had less of the cinnamon and oats flavor. So next time I will need to add more cinnamon, and I didn't mind it either cold or warm.


I do reuse some glass jars not just regular mason ones. So have you tried this? What did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment