Thursday, January 19, 2017

Refrigerated Pickling Vegetables

I have seen a few things about pickling veggies, but never tried to make them before. Great thing is that there is no canning involved in this and it was really easy to do. I used peppercorn, mustard seeds, garlic, cumin seeds, salt to add spices to the onions, cucumber and carrots. In another container I made the spices to be ground turmeric, garlic, salt, and peppercorn. I thought I added a little too much turmeric in that one, but Mr. Crafts4others loved it. Today (being Tuesday), I made another one but with onions, carrots, and bell peppers with cumin seed, garlic, sugar, salt, apple cide vinegar, peppercorns, turmeric, red pepper flakes. This is the first one that the brine had sugar in it, but that will probably make it in the end more of a sour/tart and sweet flavor. We will definitely know in the next day or so.



Here is the main Recipe that I used to create the pickled vegetables for the picture above.

This is the new one and waiting for the brine to cool before putting it in the fridge. The color looks different since I used different spices and apple cider vinegar.

Have you tried pickling before? Do you have some good recommendations of spices that go good together? 


No comments:

Post a Comment