Monday, February 1, 2016

Midwest Readathon Challenge: A Homesteader Review

  I have finished reading A Homesteader by Oscar Micheaux for the Midwest Readathon Challenge for the state of Illinois, if you want to find out more about the interesting life of Oscar Micheaux here is more information on my previous post. I was trying to think of what rating I should give this book, but having somewhat of a difficult time, I decided to give it a 2.5 instead of 3.0 out of 5. I think that if this book was less disjointed I would have liked it a bit more. The book starts with the two main characters who each have a dream about each other.  For the first 20 percent of the book it switches between the two characters, but then all a sudden only goes to the male characters view until the end of the book, which you are left wondering what happened to the female character. The last ten percent of the book feels very rushed and then your suddenly reminded about previous events that happened at the beginning of the book, which by that time you have completely forgotten about since it was just dropped. There are several instances that are repetitive that end up dragging the book. This book was written in 1918 and with that certain language is used and views about people that are not appropriate today.

I haven't decided which book I will read this month for the challenge, but will probably post tomorrow which one I have picked.

No comments:

Post a Comment